« AnteriorContinuar »
@ana 4-22. Riwi
The present Catalogue has been undertaken for the purpose of rendering the large collection of Japanese Books, Prints, and Drawings in the National Art Library more easily accessible to Artists, Designers, and Students.
With this view, although the books are catalogued when possible, under names of authors, a subject classification has been adopted, which is based solely on the character of the illustrations; and titles are repeated in as many sections as seemed necessary.
For the same reason, in addition to the Japanese name (often a fanciful one) of a work, a descriptive title in English is given in every case, the nature of the illustrations is specified, and the size of the book or plate, shown in inches. The collection includes a large number of Albums of
Xylographic Prints in Colour ; the classification of
which has been somewhat difficult, by reason of the variety of subjects generally found in each. The plan adopted has been that of placing each volume according to the class of subject which predominates therein.
In addition to the short titles printed in this Catalogue, each Album contains, in manuscript, an amplified description; an Index to the names of the different Artists represented, with references to their work; and (since many of the plates are incomplete) an account of whatever deficiencies may exist.
In requisitioning works mentioned herein, the pressmark only should be quoted.
E. F. S.
A LIST OF
ALBUMS OF PRINTS IN COLOUR
NATIONAL ART LIBRARY.
SECTION I.--ANIMALS AND PLANTS.
(BOOKS, ETC., CONTAINING ILLUSTRATIONS OF ANIMAL
ANIMALS. --- Yehon Shoshin Hashiradate. Illustrations of
Animals, Flowers, etc. Cuts, 3 vols. (10 ~7) Kyoto, 1761.
03. C. 1. AWOYE, H.-Tobacco Culture at Osumi and Satsuma.
Text in Japanese, with an introduction, and descriptions of the illustrations in English. Cuts, col. by hand. (10 x 6) Tokyo, 1878.
03. F. 15. BAIREI, Kūno.—Bairei Hyakucho Gwafu. The Hundred Birds. Cuts, col. 3 vols. (10 x 7) Tokyo, 1881.
03. C. 2. The original Drawings made for this work are in the National Art Library; and several of the Wood Blocks are exhibited in the Museum. Second Series. Cuts, col. 3 vols. (10 x 7) Tokyo, 1884.
03. F. 14. Inaka-no-Tsuki. Birds, Animals, and Fishes, with Plants and Trees. Cuts, col.
Vol. 1 of a set of 3. (10 x 7) Kyoto, 1889.
03. C. 3. BIRDS.-Somoku Kwacho Zufu. Pictures of Birds, Flowers, etc. Cuts, col. (77).
04. C. 1. Studies of Bird-form. Cuts, tinted. (5 x 8).
04. D. 1.